Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Lantern in Her Hand

By: Beth Streeter Aldrich


Published: 1928


Synopsis:


"Piercingly beautiful. . . . Aldrich's pioneer woman was based on her mother, and the integrity of her depiction of life in a sod house in the late nineteeth-century Nebraska speaks to her readers. . . . In her own introduction Aldrich writes of wanting to tell her mother's story after her mother's death: 'Other writers had depicted the Midwest's early days, but so often they had pictured their women as gaunt, browbeaten creatures, despairing women whom life seemed to defeat. That was not my mother. Not with her courage, her humor, her nature that would cause her to say at the end of her life: 'We had the best time in the world." (Amazon.com)


My Thoughts:


I have yet to read this, but will soon. Aldrich is a family name. I hope we're related!

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite books when I was a young girl. I loved Abbie and Will Deal. While not quite as good, I also liked A White Bird Flying which is the sequel.

    ReplyDelete